A few years ago, I brought cookies for my students on a Friday. Not just because it was Friday, there was a valid educational reason. Something do do with testing variables.
Controlled Variable: Oreo type sandwich cookie top and bottom
Manipulated Variable: Creme filling in chocolate, vanilla and mint
Responding Variable: Number of students who chose each cookie type
But the facade was transparent and easy to push aside. I knew it. They knew it. It was Friday and I thought a treat was in order.
So a few weeks later, on a treat-less Friday, the students begged for a Friday treat. I said, um, ok. But that I didn't have any high calorie treats so it would have to be a low calorie treat. Then I dug around on my hard drive and found this sound clip.
They loved it, so the tradition began.
- movie clips
- audio clips
- funny cartoons
- weird stories
- once we figured out our secret code names with the Name Change-o-Chart 2000
But this week we are talking about the nature of light. Does it move as particles or waves?? I couldn't find anything to give them. So after we cleaned up after the lab. SUPER MESSY today; we had to get the mop out and everything. I played some Queen for them and we practiced our air guitar.
It's become a fun tradition for me and the scholars entrusted into my care. I even sometimes have former students stopping by my classroom on Fridays to get treats. But I need some multimedia resources. If you, or anyone you can think of has any thoughts, ideas or favorite clips, please let me know.
I'm excited to hear your suggestions--don't disappoint the kids!
Love, Loopy Wafflesniffer
It's become a fun tradition for me and the scholars entrusted into my care. I even sometimes have former students stopping by my classroom on Fridays to get treats. But I need some multimedia resources. If you, or anyone you can think of has any thoughts, ideas or favorite clips, please let me know.
I'm excited to hear your suggestions--don't disappoint the kids!
Love, Loopy Wafflesniffer

3 comments:
What a great thing to do with your students. They are blessed to have you.
You might try going to Vimeo.com and searching for "science." (Put a search in for "RunBot" first. It's a video I like.)
I like Dr.Quantum explanations. If you search for him on You Tube you might come up with something cool. Here is a direct link for one of his video shorts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dq454iFp2c
Today when I was at the library, I noticed that there is a series of videos that you can check out called "How Things Work" (same name of the popular book). Each video segment goes over a topic for 13 minutes and today I saw several videos that might qualify for your classes like "pressure, engines, electricity."
I hope that helps! And rumor has it, the overdue fine for video's has dropped from a dollar a day to 15 cents. Woot!
Post a Comment