Consider the humble donut. So simple in its construction, yet able to bring a grown woman to her knees. I will not deny it. I love a good donut. Or if you prefer, doughnut. Either way you spell it, it is delicious. Not every one loves them with the same pure abandonment as I do however. So, if you are not a donut lover; first of all, my heart goes out to you in sympathy for missing out on one of life’s simple pleasures, secondly, I am jealous of your slender waistline.
When I was very little, I remember having a special affinity for Dunkin Donuts. I’m sure it was kindled by my love of my dad, who shares a name (Duncan) with this wondrous place. While that may have been the beginning, the experience of standing in front of that window (not simply standing but situating myself with my hands and nosed pressed to the glass, moving when it got too foggy, imagining the possibilities) is the memory that wafts deliciously into my heart when I smell maple icing.
Some memories seem to be peppered with tastes and sounds.
For me, driving to early morning seminary sounds like Ace of Base (The Sign) and tastes like a cinnamon twist from Happy Donuts.
Bellingham Washington has many charms. Lafeen’s Donuts (where instead of first thing in the morning, they put the hot donuts out at 10 p.m.) is one of them. The problem is that at 10:05 most nights someone in your house is roaming room to room collecting loose change and donut orders. It is here, that I came face to face with the future love of my life: the lucullan French Cruller. I’d watched one of my roommates order the cruller every time. I was unimpressed. It was showy and proud, but looked dry and suspiciously like it lacked substance. However, as fate would have it, an order was botched, the cruller sat superciliously before me, I took a bite and never looked back. I now consider a French Cruller to be my choice for a well balanced breakfast.
Most Saturdays I wake up, put my shoes on, wonder out to my car and head for Happy Donuts. Where happily, a French Cruller is waiting for me in all its sticky glory.
This post is dedicated:
- to Aims, who alerted me that yesterday was Donut Day;
- to Whitney, who ordered that first French cruller, has shared many with me since then, and with whom I hope to share many more;
- and especially to Bella, who has often waited in the car after being lured out of bed early on Saturdays with the promise of a walk only to sit in the car while I was fogging up the display window at Happy Donuts.
If I wandered into your room right now for your donut order what would you choose?
4 comments:
Well! I have never tasted a lucullan French Cruller, but I just know that with a name like Lu Cullan (must be a part of that famous Cullen family) I would love it. And there's another Cullen favorite, Bella, who we all know and love. Who could resist!
Jeremy and I celebrated Donut day too! We checked out the local donut store just down the street and I ordered my all time favorite a cake donut with white frosting and rainbow sprinkles, with a chocolate bar as a side!
I am SO craving donuts after reading your post. I was deeply saddened when the Gasthouse (sp?) Bakery in Sumner was sold. They had the best maple bars known to man!!! I have been conspiring to get my hands on the recipe so I can still enjoy its soft nummy goodness in my own kitchen. Any ideas?
Donuts...Donuts...this will be haunting me all day until I can sink my teeth into a wonderful, squishy, sweet donut! You are truly evil, you know that, right? Remember that you and I were raised by the same parents, so therefore have been created with similar tastes! Also, those same donut memories are still permanently locked in my brain! I am undecided about a favorite though...apple fritters are some of my favorite, but I also appreciate and love a nice old fashioned glazed, I really want to try that one you love too!!
Post a Comment