Really, if all the water in Gotham is vaporized, what's the point of the poison? Every cell in your body would burst!
Maybe you feel sorry for me? Maybe you feel sorry for Dave? But here's who you should feel sorry for: America's youth. My students are confused about the Richter's Scale because of movies like 10.5. Folks, only a fault that reaches around the entire globe would generate that kind of earthquake. Maybe you missed this movie? (Luckily I can tell you the ending). 

The good news is that the heroes of 10.5 were able to weld the Earth's crust back together with nuclear bombs...
The bad news is twofold: the science consultants on the script were probably paid for their contributions and the earth is now mostly radioactive.
Even after this tantrum I have to confess that I actually do enjoy science fiction movies. Most of the fun for me is groaning and complaining. Nothing quite fills that need like The Core. I get angry all over just thinking about that movie. URRGGH! We seem to have a fascination for fixing natural disasters with our nuclear arsenal. I'm seriously in doubt of their effectiveness. Thanks for listening. Thanks for caring. As a parting gift to you for reading this rant session, I leave you this list of movies to love and movies to avoid:
To love:
The Dish
Contact
2001: A Space Odyssey
Planet Earth
To avoid:
Any movie that leaves you with a sinking feeling in your gut as you suspect that living on Earth is not at all safe. And ends with a nuclear explosion to save the day.


9 comments:
I'm so glad you posted again, so that I good wish you a happy birthday, albeit the greeting is late.
I love your blog! You are such an entertaining writer, as well as being one of my favorite people ever.
Please keep posting!
Whoops! That was supposed to say "could wish you," not the goofy "good wish you." Please correct it in your head. Thanks.
I totally agree with you! Those ignored scientific facts in movies drive me nuts. I walk out of the theater wondering what morons wrote the script and how the general public can find something like that entertaining. Lol...I would love to go to a movie and listen to your commentary. Remember Mystery Science Theater? You should do that! Oh yah...and I love how smart you are..and I love reading your blog...and I hope you had a wonderful birthday.
okay ... I do love the movie Contact, but do you really think that's at all plausible? it is a good movie.
What are your opinions on a giant tidal wave engulfing the entire easter seaboard ... ala Deep Impact?
Batman is awesome, I didn't see the other ones, and you are neurotic, but quite funny. :)
I love "listening" to you! And I love caring...however, has anyone ever told you that movies are to be watched and enjoyed...not picked apart with a scientific mind! Brian does the same thing with Air Traffic movies! :)
I love MST 3000. I have many fond memories of watching that show with Roger. I especially love The Mexcian Devil following Santa around trying to ruin Christmas morning joy. Ahhh, memories.
Deep Impact...where to start?
Hollywood is still working on the vacob for that one. A Tsunami is what they mean when they say Tidal Wave. It's of course a little suspect that a teenager in a back yard identifies a comet racing toward the earth before scientists. But aren't the graphics incredible--that's fun. I like to show that clip to my kids when we talk about Tsunamis.
You might enjoy ths website, I do:
http://janus.astro.umd.edu/astro/impact/
You know how I feel about movies. We don't generally like the same ones. I just go to a movie for the sheer entertainment factor. I can't be bothered to think about anything scientific, deep, thought provoking, etc... What does that say about me? I guess the real truth of the matter is that I haven't gone to a movie since before Jack was born. Pathetic!
Post a Comment