4.08.2008

Canis Major

Ok, Bella's "it". She got tagged. A couple of things about the dog:

1. Bella is a great Dane. Emphasis on great . . .

"That's not a dog, that's a horse!" ~Alexa
"Make that drooling stop!"~Callie

2. So, most creatures move away from the fire when they start to feel the affects of melting skin, dehydration, pain, and so forth. Not this girly. No, she lays there and moans. Moans and moans and moans. Until someone has pity on her and shoves her out of the way or turns the fire off or dumps water on her or something.

3. Bella erroneously believes herself to be a small dog. She gets nervous around the "big" dogs at the park. Never mind that they are smaller than her. She wants nothing more than to be able to sit in your lap. She dearly loves to cuddle. Which, given her size, feels more like she's squishing the living daylights out of you. But if you're strong enough to take it, it's very sweet.

4. Ok, this next one is gross so skip it if you are weak-stomached. Bella loves to eat kitty litter---I hang my head in shame for her as she has no proper shame for herself. I do not know why she does this. I cannot understand it. The cats are equally puzzled. And let me tell you, a lot of time and resources have been devoted to try to nip this taste for "alternative protein" in the bud.

5. Bella is smart. But as smart as she is (and folks, she has a big vocab and she really is a smartie-pants, sans the pants) but the finer points of "playing catch" totally elude her. And really, that's not even fair because she understands the catching part but not the part where the human safely retrieves the thrown object and resends it into the atmosphere for continued fun. Bella's idea of fun can be summed up in this conversation I believe is going on in her head . . .
"Bet you can't get this out of my mouth. Look how big my teeth are. And my jaw is too strong for your puny muscles. HA! this toy is mine forever! Wait! where are you going--you're supposed to pry this out of my teeth. Come on! Try it. I dare you weakling. . ."
On closer investigation, maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand the finer points of the game "Toy war".


"We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment."
~George Eliot

6 comments:

Kelli said...

I so want a great dane. but Kevin says no because they poop larger than our children (not our childrens poop but our childen in size) they seem so sweet and loving. does your entire paycheck go to dog food?

Emily A. said...

Lol..so cute...

Judie and George said...

How will you live without her?

emily :) said...

I love Great Danes! They really are great dogs :) Your writing is truly humorous! Also, thank you for the birthday post!! I really had a great day...and the picture you posted turned out pretty good :)

Unknown said...

Hi Karen! I hope this works. It's my first time posting a comment without a tutor present. I LOVE your blog. It is so fun getting this little glimpse into your life and heart. Bella really is a cute dog (and funny to learn about.) And my neice Karen is even cuter and funnier! I love you.

Becky said...

She is such a cute dog!

I enjoy reading your blog! How have you been?