A few years ago my mom gave me a few really cool books about geology and volcanism of the Pacific northwest. She thought I might enjoy putting them in my classroom for the curious kids. I did take some of them, others are on my bookshelf at home, but the Roadside Geology of Washington book, the greatest treasure in the cache, lives in my glove box because you just never know. I like to drive around this state and while I'm at it, I like to know what I'm looking at. It would be cool if someone would make a roadside geology map app for my phone. I would love cruising around listening to a narration of the regional geology while navigating to my destination.
I have a couple of friends who are taking a vacation to Norway later this month and on Friday they invited me over for dinner and a geological discussion. They wanted to know a little about the geology they're gonna be seeing. I had forgotten how much I love talking about cratons, and crystalline basements and the formation and breakups of super continents. Seriously, we had a blast. After spending most of my week trying to educate largely unwilling participants, it was a delight to have such avid students.
Thanks Mom. For both the book and the love of geology. You rock!
6.09.2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment