6.04.2014

Hunt for the Perfect Seattle Ice Cream Cone

A few weeks ago it came to my attention that a friend of mine has not adequately ventured out into the Seattle Ice Cream scene.  It was decided that this must be rectified immediately. I love me some ice cream and Seattle's got some pretty great local flavor.

A scheme was devised to visit a different place each Tuesday evening and the last couple of weeks have been delicious.

Here's the score so far:

Bluebird Microcreamery and Brewery
Phinney Ridge/Greenwood
Flavor: Chocolate Pudding
Delivery: Homemade waffle cone
Verdict: The ice cream had a dark beautiful color that suggested it would have a rich, dark flavor but it just seemed a little meh to me. Part of the problem is that Snoqualmie's Mulkilteo Mud is the litmus test to which all chocolate ice cream must be subjected and this scoop did not measure up. They had two chocolate flavor's on the board and I sampled both before selecting the Chocolate Pudding, maybe I made a mistake? I'll just have to go back and order the other one another time. Also oddly enough, the waffle cone had a weird flavor that I didn't care for which surprised me because I haven't met a homemade waffle cone that I didn't love before. It's not the first time I've been there and I remember deeply enjoying it last time (maybe it was the excellent company I was with that night), so I was disappointed but more than willing to give it another shot with another flavor, sans the cone. But we had a beautiful evening sitting outside on the sidewalk with the glorious Seattle sunshine drawing folks through the door like a moth to a flame.

Parfait
Ballard
Flavor: Meyer Lemon
Delivery: Homemade waffle cone
Verdict: First of all, they knew what they were about. I was shocked and delighted at how much I loved every bite of this cone--both the ice cream and the actual cone, which tasted like a perfect cookie (I like my cookies crunchy, a much debated topic between my sister Emily and I). I'd take a bite, enjoy it, then disbelieve it could really be as good as my brain was telling me, then take another bite only to discover it was the gospel truth. Is it a little dramatic to say it was the best ice cream cone of my life and I could die a happy woman? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean it wasn't true. The price is the limiting factor on this place--no ice cream cone is going to break the bank but you don't expect to have to dig around in your bag for extra change when you already handed the kid a fiver. But remember how delicious it was? Yeah, I paid first so any injustice I felt at the register was fully compensated by the surge of dopamine levels in my brain as I ate the ice cream. No price is too high for this fix.

No comments: