
Some things you should know about my dad:
- He has a gentle soul and loves people easily
- He is dorky on the coolest level but gets uber geeky about gadgets: cooking or computer
- His cheerful temperament and ready sense of humor has been a blessing in my life
Cool things I loved about my childhood with my dad:
- Pancakes on Saturday morning. He made them from wheat that he'd grind up for the occasion. I still remember being woken up on Saturdays from the insanely loud noise of the wheat grinder. That is the best sound to wake up to. I remember him pouring batter in the shape of a K sometimes too. That's a tricky letter to turn into a pancake. So delicious.
- The wheat grinder played an important role in my childhood memories with my dad apparently because when I think of the pancake breakfasts I also remember his homemade bread with a lot of fondness too. He used to make little fried scones with some of the bread dough. I remember my first Puyallup Fair scone as a severely disappointing experience because I was expecting my dad's scones.
- Being pushed REALLY high on swings.
- Advice he gave me when I was 12 about how to recover faster from a surgery so I could be released from the hospital. Something like: "You can decide if you want to stay here and feel sorry for yourself or stop moaning and go home. Bravery is a choice." I still remember it anytime I feel myself starting to freak out about blood and doctors. I try to think--how would my dad want me to handle this?
- Discussions about science and eternity. Deep stuff.
- Teaching me how to play checkers.
- Loving me even when I was 17 and knew way more than him. Thanks Dad.
Things I learned from my dad
- Perpetual motion is impossible.
- You can change your own oil, but it's easier to let someone else. Just be sure you change it!
- Being nice to people is a pretty awesome way to live your life.
- If you take care of your Teflon pan, it will take care of you. Never put it in the dishwasher. EVER.
- Loving your family is a full time job. It involves sacrifice, tenderness, consideration, compassion, and loyalty. But we're all so glad he is so good at it.
I don't understand how I got so lucky in the parent department but I am grateful that I did.
Happy Father's Day to the
best
dad
in
the
world!
Thank you so much Dad.

1 comment:
Love that picture of you and your Dad.
Oh yeah, Love YOU and your DAD!
Love, Aunt Janet
Post a Comment