I got attacked by a swarm of Aphids as I ran into a branch on the way to my car this morning. Attacked might be a bit of hyperbole, but whatever. I've always been fond of these bright green little bugs. I had to brush myself off before getting into my car though, because my affection does not nullify my repulsion at having 25 or so bugs riding with me to work.
I used to call them Algebra bugs because they always seemed attracted to the bright white paper of my Algebra text book as I did my homework on the lawn of my high school. I guess since I was fond of Algebra, I became fond of them.
But let me reassure you, they are truly strange little weirdoes. I don’t know what, if anything, you know about Aphid reproduction cycles, so welcome to science class.
Sometimes during the seasonal life cycle of Aphids they reproduce parthenogenetically; instead of laying eggs they give birth to a tiny little clone of themselves. This means that most of the time the population is entirely female.
Weird?! I know, right?
It totally gets better. Sometimes a little baby aphid clone will already be growing its own little aphid clone BEFORE IT’S BORN! Thus, the mother could be giving birth to both its daughter and granddaughter at the same time!
Hope you can keep your breakfast down while reading this.
You’re welcome.
If you, like me, have an opposite reaction to all this fascinating science you might consider reading the following:
Herding Aphids: How 'Farmer' Ants Keep Control Of Their Food
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071009212548.htm
The Aphid Life Cycle
http://www.backyardnature.net/aphid_lc.htm
Wikipedia article on Aphids
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid
HOMEWORK: Write a 5 sentence paragraph describing why you love summer vacation and what you are planning to do. Extra credit if you include learning something cool about your favorite freaky animal.
Last day of school countdown: 9 school days!!
6.14.2011
Freaks of Nature
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
My favorite part about aphids is that they essentially have little udders on their butts, and ant "milk" them for sweet sugary goodness. Thus why ants farm/herd aphids. So great!
Post a Comment