4.14.2010

Poem

Three things:
April is national poetry month.
My mother passed away on this date a week before my 10th birthday.
That birthday party was kind of stupid . . .

In honor of this trifecta of events here's a poem.


Cassiopeia and Andromeda

The constellations glide and alter so slowly as to seem immovable,
So stretch the cords and bonds that make me ever yours.
And you, mine.
The dreams and hopes you whispered with kisses to my infant ears rooted, sprouted, fruited and became my own.
Your eyes sparkle still, your heart beats ever, your laugh echoes, you live.
Though you live not, you live in me.
The curve of your face is my own curve.
The strength of your hand is my own strength.
The hope of your faith is my own hope.
The love which binds we two, stops not at death, begins not at birth, finds no sorrow at departure, but glides ever on like the graceful dance of stars.





6 comments:

Jules said...

I cried. That was an amazing, infinite poem. Thank you for sharing the poem and the pictures. We all love you and miss you here in Bellingham!

Sotto Voce said...

This is beautiful!

Amber said...

Wow. So touching and beautiful! Love it!!

Janet and Nate said...

Karen,
That is such a sweet poem. Lorrie would have loved it. You really are a reflection of who she was and who she wanted you to be. We love you.
Uncle Nate

H C M said...

words fail me!

Jnuck said...

I read this five times in a row and each time I felt a swelling of emotion. Because I love you and because you have do much of your mom in you, I already love her too. Stunning picture. We need to recreate that dress!