11.28.2008

Pumpkin and Pecan

I know TV is TV and real life is...well, real. But watching the West Wing makes me feel smart. When I used to watch the West Wing I always felt like I was up on current events. I know. No need to remind me, it's not real, just TV. But...still.
I started wondering what was going on in my actual country with my actual President. I strted watching C-SPAN which in turn got me in a lot of trouble with my roommate at the time who thought I watched C-SPAN just to annoy her. I promise I didn't; I just found it really intriguing. I especially loved to watch the British coverage--those guys really get animated. Another favorite treat was watching Ari Fleischer do The White House press briefings. Maybe because I love Allison Janney/C.J. Cregg so much.

Real Press Secretary:

Ari Fleischer, Press Secretary for the Bush Administration until he resigned in 2003. Dana Perino is the current Press Secretary.


Pretend Press Secretary:

Allison Janney as C.J. Cregg, pretend Press Secretary in the fictional West Wing universe.

One of my favorite West Wing Episodes is a Thanksgiving episode which a little bit of internet digging revealed is titled "Shibboleth". Wherein the fictional President of the United States pardons a turkey. The annual Pardoning of the turkey is just one more thing I can add to my list of:


Things I Learned From Watching the West Wing:

  • Andrew Jackson, in the main foyer of the White House, had a two-ton block of cheese.
  • You can cook stuffing inside the turkey, as long as the temperature of the stuffing reaches 130°.
  • There are 3 words that start with “dw” in the English Language and 14 punctuation marks.
  • Nothing on the map is where you think.
  • There is a contingency plan to invade Canada.
  • Islamic extremist is to Islam as KKK is to Christianity.
  • Goldfish are animals, but they are also crackers.

Real President pardoning a turkey:

Pretend President pardoning a turkey:



In real life, President Bush pardoned 2 turkeys up front so it's unlikely that this little scene played out in the actual White House.

Humorously, the pardoned turkeys are named each year by the democratic process. About a week ago I went to this site to pick my choice. I carefully looked at each of the candidates and weighed the pros and cons of each pair of names. Obviously my love of pie forced me to choose Pumpkin and Peacn, although Dawn and Early Light were a close second until I remembered that I love my sister Emily (sorry, it's an inside joke).
The American people agreed with me I guess, or I'm the only one who voted. Therefore the lucky pardoned turkeys will henceforth be known as Pumpkin and Pecan.

Yum, I love pie.

Thanksgiving 2008 celebrated at the real White House:

No comments: