3.24.2008

The Breakfast of Champions: Taking breakfast and Tetris to a whole new level. (pun intended)

One quarter at WWU I took Organic Chem., Physics and Tetris. It was a fantastically full load. I even flirted with the idea of dropping Tetris but instead I worked hard and stuck it out. It was a huge time commitment, as I studied two or three hours a day for that class alone. At night I would close my eyes and see blocks falling in my brain. It’s possible I passed my other classes but one thing I know—
I am addicted to Tetris. A-d-d-i-c-t-e-d-!
My favorite version is Cowtris; which you must download immediately. I promise you will love it.


Get it here: http://nonsense.wglick.org/cowtris.html

Of course waffles are also deliciously wonderful so I chuckled when my friend Aims sent me this picture:


Waffles. Yum. Calories aside, they are delicious with whipped cream and maple syrup and they taste best on the couch in front of the fire watching reruns of whatever show you never have time to watch because you are always trying to sharpen and hone your Tetris skills.

My roomie got me hooked on from-scratch buttermilk batter--no dry mixes here! I especially love to toss in mini choco chips and dried cherries, fresh blueberries or bacon. Maybe not all together, but maybe. If that's your thing. My thing is to enjoy separately. But hey it's your breakfast so go wild.

What's your waffle thing?

9 comments:

Honor said...

I am a waffle traditionalist ... I like strawberries and whipped cream ... or ... butter and syrup. We don't eat waffles very often. But they are yummy! As for tetris ... I don't want to play, because then I will get addicted. So I try to refrain. It's like bejeweled ... you just keep trying to get better and faster.

Judie and George said...

I am a waffle and fruit person; no butter, just fruit. Jam will work if fresh is not available. I can do syrup, but fruit is better.

Kelli said...

I love tetris also.........but hardly have time these days. I also love Peanut butter and syrup, cant get enough of that. In Hawaii once I had waffles made out of brownies with all the toppings, icecream, fudge, whip cream and nuts. It was to die for!

emily :) said...

You are such a creative writer!! Love reading your posts :) As for waffles...Brian has been serving a wonderfully lethal combination that is quite addicting (just like Tetris)...2 homemade, fluffy waffles (no mix), with a scoop of vanilla ice in between the waffles...and if that doesn't give enough calories for your liking, then fresh strawberries with whipped cream on top really tips the scale. OR if your sweet tooth is calling then skip the strawberries and drizzle your favorite syrup on top!! :) :) We only present this dish to the family about 2 or 3 times a year (usually special occasions) because it is really dessert, and not really breakfast, but it is truly wonderful!! :)

Andrew and Cori said...

I'm all about waffles with strawberries and powdered sugar... it's the only way to go.

Unknown said...

Hey Karen,
Can I get your buttermilk waffle recipe?

Abbie said...

I have an addiction... Zuma. I know how you feel. Plus waffles are my favorite breakfast food... and favorite dinner food.

Wren/Karen said...

Best Buttermilk Waffles (or pancakes)

(I think this was from Martha Stewart's website years ago? Maybe. Can't remember.)

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (leave out if you are not using unsalted butter)
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups buttermilk
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, plus a little for griddle
Directions:
Heat griddle to 375 degrees.
Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
Add eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tbsp. butter; mix to combine.
Batter should be lumpy. Do Not overstir.
Cook as pancakes or waffles.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Waffles for Tetris!