3.14.2008

An irrational love of pie.

I love pie. And I know I’m not the only one. Jealousy is the most common response I get when I explain our family’s tradition of waking up to a pumpkin pie breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. Yum. Pumpkin Pie. Lemon Meringue Pie. Raspberry Pie. Apple Pie. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Chocolate Pie. I really love all pie…sans mince meat; sorry Dad. I just don’t understand what exactly it’s made of—it makes me nervous.

Fact: Every 5 minutes one in four people is currently eating, preparing to eat or thinking of eating pie.

Fact: 9 out of 10 people would rather eat pie than brush their teeth.

Fact: Astronauts and Cosmonauts won’t go to space without pie http://www.cnn.com/US/9511/atlantis/11-16/index.html

So you can imagine my joy today (3.14) when my love of pie intersects with my love of pi. The irrational, never repeating, wonder-number that represents the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. My love of pi started in 10th grade Geometry when Mr. Crack offered me extra credit if I could memorize pi to its 25th decimal place. A few days later he gave me a chunk of chalk and stood back surprised as I quickly jotted down pi to the 49th decimal.

49?! you ask? Yep, 49. And it was easy, here’s how:

Fact: telephone numbers are in groups of 7 (except for in the Cook Islands where 5 digits will let you reach anyone in the country).

Fact: I had seven friends in high school. (Who knew I was so popular!)

Fact: I simply assigned a set of 7 numbers to each friend

3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375…


3 + 1 + 4 = (20 x 0) + 8

CRACK-O!

Happy Pi Day!

6 comments:

emily :) said...

LOVE IT!! Happy Pi(e) Day to you too!!! I have a delicious Dutch Apple Pie made by Marie Calendar in my freezer! Sounds like the perfect way to celebrate this day! :)

Judie and George said...

I love pie. I don't love math however. Today I am eating these chocolate pinwheel cookies. They are round like pie. In school math was the bane of my existence, but not the worst. Physical education was the worst. I am more of a word girl, in any language. Chocolate pinwheels, like pie are so good. Words are good too. Pi(e) also has its place.

Honor said...

mmmm......pie

uggghhhh ... pi.

That's all I have to say about it.

Judie and George said...

Dad and I just read this and we are laughing. It is really so clever, so clever. Wish Mr. Crack could see it.

Roger said...

Karen! You had me falling off my computer chair when I read it yesterday, I had to read it again today just to have another chuckle. Beware the Ides of March!
(3/1)+5=(20*0)+8
CRACKO!!!!

Kelli said...

ok, what ever. I love Pie also, I dont understand Pi,sorry. I came across your moms blog and so am visting all you guys/girls. Hi from the past. Kelli (young) Hanis, come visit my blog anytime.