3.09.2008

I'm going to the moon and I'm taking my flannel pajama bottoms.

Lately there have been a lot of discipline issues at school. Marijuana on the bus. Language sailors would blush to hear. "STUDENTS!, talk like your grandma is sitting next to you.” I call it pre-WASL spring stress. The principal calls it lack of goals.

So on Friday she passed out goal setting surveys for each kid to fill out. Questions like “What college do you want to go to?”, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”, etc. One of the questions was “If you could have twenty things, what would they be?”

Understandably, some of my students had a hard time after about five things they wanted, most of us don’t have a running total we have easy access to that quickly. To be helpful, I wrote some incredibly random things on the board to inspire them to think beyond the obvious nano i pod, clothes from Hollister, a million dollars, yada, yada, yada.

My Suggestions:

  • planetarium in my house,
  • a puppy,
  • national parks pass,
  • surfing lessons,
  • a cupcake,
  • vacation to New Zealand,
  • a telescope,
  • fraction skills,
  • waffle iron,
  • a very minor role in a very major film,
  • more rocks for my rock collection,
  • for Pluto to have its planet rights reinstated, (we miss you Pluto!)

But here’s my quandary; if you read the question carefully, is it saying you would get these additional twenty things along with all of the other things you currently have? Or do you only get twenty items to own? Are you getting sent off to the moon and may take only twenty items? Curious. I'm going to the moon and I'm taking my flannel pajama bottoms. What would you take?

9 comments:

Honor said...

Oooh, that's a hard one. I think I would take .... a really good book ... the Twilight series. (I can read it over and over ... I just love it)

Love the blog Karen!!!

emily :) said...

This looks great!!! :)

Stopher and Nicolle said...

Keiranne!! (no, i will never spell your name normally again)
you are amazing! I have been checking out your fam's blogs lately since you are the perfect family...and i miss everyone! what happened to 16? where are you teaching? have you heard from shelly? for the record if i was sent to the moon i would bring my ipod and a good book. email me: nrbrady@gmail.com
Nicolle

Judie and George said...

Well, I love this. And so does Dad.

Judie and George said...

We think we would take each other. I would borrow Honor's books, for sure. I would listen to all of your music. Dad thinks he might take the rest of the family with him because that's what's important. Right now, I think I might like to have some yummy cookies.

emily :) said...

Okay, so I never added what I would take to the moon! I would take BRIAN! Pathetic I know...sorry kids you will have to find your own ticket! :) :)

Andrew and Cori said...

I'm thinking I would also borrow Honor's books... if Mom and I both claim them that it one for each of us and we'll have to switch when they are read. SO, no one else can get in on borrowing till the fourth book comes out... then someone can get in on the action. Today I think I'm going with Snickers Eggs. Don't you just love Easter candy? Oh, and any beverage that is carbonated. I guess if I am borrowing books, I have to share my eggs and soda. I'm cool with that.

Abbie said...

I'd take those bouncy moon shoes they sold when I was little... those were awesome!

Emily A. said...

i LOVE your writing. I hope you will continue to update this blog frequently because you make me smile.