I'm pretty wimpy. I've never been that interested
in developing athletic prowess or even adequate upper body strength. I am, to
be pithy, an easy target for zombies.
But once in a while I find myself in an entirely self-inflicted
physically grueling situation. One where stamina and indefatigability are
requirements for survival. I try to be graceful at such times but it's never a
complete success and I tend to dip a little too far into the whiney-pants end
of the spectrum. This summer I found myself in exactly such a mess and I
made it out alive. High five!
I went backpacking out at Cape Alava on the
northern Washington coast in the Olympic National Park. My pack was ridiculously heavy. Why does
anyone need that much stuff for two nights? I didn’t even haul a tent, which
turned out to be an important detail . . .
But the experience was incredible. I’m glad I did
it and look how pretty the campsite was.

No comments:
Post a Comment