1.08.2012

2012; A Year in Review

It's true that we're only a few days in, but what better time than this to pause and reflect on how great 2012 has been so far?

The first few moments of the year were spent huddled under a giant pile of blankets with a few of my favorites on the roof of an apartment building watching a glorious fireworks display. Seattle, you really know how to put on a show. They blast those babies right off the side of the Space Needle. Nice.

The nicest part was that we were only a few blocks away. In the spirit of sharing, we might not have had actual permission to be up on that roof and we might have had to creep through an attic space and climb onto a crate and then crawl out a window, but we had the code to the padlock (somewhat shady story that I won't disclose here) and we managed to bring 8 blankets and quilts and a large pizza up there with us without anyone becoming too alarmed so we think we're going to make it a new tradition.

I'm not going to lie to you, it was a magical kind of night.

Here's a snapshot from my roommate's cellphone. It really was a lot bigger and closer in real life.

We contemplated staying up there all night and watching the sun rise on the first morning of 2012 but after another 2 hours of shivering and the subsequent arrival of a light drizzly rain, we decided to call it a night.

Then a few days later, after 2 weeks of sleeping in and eating a diet consisting almost entirely of holiday baked goods, my first day back to school on Tuesday morning came early and hit hard.

It's good to be back into the swing of things but I miss the skipping-sleep-and-reading-instead kind of nights I enjoyed during Christmas break. One night I went to bed at 5:30 a.m. (a.m. folks)

But those days are behind me for now. Summer break is a far distant, glorious dream that I try not to think about too much. Eye of the tiger. And 2012 looms ahead with all its promise.


2012 day 2. Morning hike at Discovery Park. Ignore that weird bulge on my back pocket. I was carrying my car keys and a map back there.

No comments: