10 letters. That's it.
Ever since I started filling out forms and realized that there was a superfluous line intended to further identify me from all the other Karens in the universe, my middle name deficit has been a sore spot. But what could I do about it? Complaints filed to my parents fell on deaf ears and only produced blank stares.
What's the big deal, my mom didn't have a middle name either. Emily? Nope. Well...kinda nope. Let me explain. You might remember that Clifford the Big Red Dog has a devoted and loyal companion named Emily Elizabeth. My mom often said that if she had given Emily a middle name it would have been Elizabeth in honor of her mother. I even recall her calling Emily that when we were little. Then Em grew up and had babies, all of which have middles (way to go Em), and along come Anna Elizabeth, whom I have always suspected Emily named after herself.
But even though Emily, Mom and I were born binomials, I alone still pine for trinomial status. Marriage. Yep. That, my friends, is the way to get a middle name. Alas, the elusive hunt continues.
Imagine my shock to learn that some lucky girls get middle names before they are married! My other four sisters have beautiful middles: Jayne, Mariana, Rose and Irene. What is it about a middle name that makes me want to whisper it like a sacred wish...
You might believe you are the first person I have whined to about this sad, sad state of affairs. You are incorrect. Many dear and loving people have listened and consoled me through this trial. Some have even gone so far as to offer advice. Here is the most common: "Ummm...why don't you just give yourself a middle name?"
Ok. No.
It doesn't work. Because it's not permanent, it's not a part of who you are. No one ever yelled it at you when you were in trouble. And it's not like I haven't tried.
In 8th grade: Flower
In 10th grade: respelled first name Keiranne (more letters doesn't fill the void)
Alternate attempts: Bailey, Beatrice, Georgia, Sunshine (during my hippiest hippy stage), Danger, Egg, Hortense, Eunice...
Ok, maybe I'm just making those last few up. But I think I've illustrated my point. I stink at picking out names. If I had ever marched down to city hall (or where ever you go to change your name) and saddled one of these to myself for life, I'm sure I would have lived to regret it. Perhaps "Danger" would be the exception.
The thing about names is you can't really give them to yourself. Even nicknames can't really be self imposed. When my college roommates started calling me Ren, about all I could do is decide that it should be spelled with a "w" so as not to confuse it with Stimpy's sidekick. Or is Stimpy the sidekick?
So two questions:
1. What is your middle name and what's the story?
2. Since I can't dub myself, what middle name would you give me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
1. My middle name is Pryor, I wish there was some cool story to go along with why, but it's just a family name that goes back at least to my great grandpa on my dad's side and it's just a boy thing. This is why I have decided to name my first son Richard.
2. I'm kinda boring when it comes to girl middle names, so I think I would give you the middle name of like Whitney or something for alliteration purposes.
You could take a geologically inspired name like Jade or some other stone of your choice. I wouldn't recommend Jasper. Mariposa is also nice. Then there are quality names like Hope (my personal favorite), but it doesn't really blend with Karen. How about something from NZ? I think a two name name would sound nice, like Karen Anne-Marie. So many choices, and only one middle name.
you know my middle name and story ... Rose. *sigh* ... it IS a nice name, isn't it? (sorry to make you even more jealous)
what name would I give you for the middle? hmmm ... Kate says it should be Tia ... Tessa wants you to have Rose ... so Honor Rose, Tessa Rose, and Karen Rose?
I'll keep thinking.
I guess I'm the lucky one??!! My middle name is now "White"...well it's suppose to be anyway. I still fill out all forms with First and Last name only because there is usually a Maiden name spot too, and people get way too confused when they see White in both spots...I even get a little confused...it doesn't make any sense. So alas, I still have no middle name :( However, you are right Karen, I did give my daughters middle names that they could carry through there lives, and it does make it much easier to scold them with names like: Megan Lorraine! Anna Elizabeth! and Amelia Avian! Yes, I know Amelia's is a bit odd, but there is a story behind the name, which brings out the beauty :)
When Lorrie was a teenager she found a ring with the initials "LGF". She told everyone her middle name was Gonzalez. (I told them it was Godzilla.)
I think Karen Lorraine sounds nice.
Nate
Ok... I will try again. I think you are perfect just as you are. Why mess with perfection.
But I understand. I don't have one either.
My middle name is Elizabeth.
I don't know what to recommend for an adopted middle name. I'm kind of at a mind blank for names right now, although coming up with names was one of the more fun parts of being pregnant each time. Now that we are getting closer to adopting someone, I want to change the given name of the child, but can't think of any names!
middle name: Rose, it's my mom's middle, my grandma's middle, and my great grandma's first...so yeah, it's a family name.
I say you go with K. as your middle name. keiranne k. white. that way you can still drop it later because it's just your first initial..and for the record i was also secretly envious that you got to choose to spell your name a cool way and i will always think of you as keiranne...
Karen,
Where are you tunes? I loved coming into your blog and listening to your music choice!
There were some that I had to listen to several times a week...you were my "fix".
Awwwwhh....now what shall I do?
Have a great Thanksgiving weekend!
Love, Janet
Post a Comment