4.22.2009

Playing Hookey

Think back to when you were 15. You were a punk but don't feel bad, we all were. You wanted to skip school because it was boring you to death and your teachers were dumb. But you knew you would get in trouble and you'd heard of this thing called Saturday school where the kids had to have smoking breaks and you were mostly terrified of that. Maybe you were also a little curious, but you figured you could live your life without ever knowing for sure.

Fast forward a few years... Imagine waking up to a sunny morning, still tired and knowing you had to be at school in a coupe of hours on a beautiful warm spring day. Ugh. And hang out with a room full of punks that you wish would all skip school that day. But then you realized that if you call it in, RIGHT THEN, you could get a substitute to take care of the punks and you could skip school. (*Hint* This is not a hard decision.)

Please enjoy the photographic evidence of a truant teacher.



I started my adventurous day at safeway buying a pink lady apple and sunglasses. Any day that starts like this is a day I want to live over and over again. The pictures above (notice the new sun glasses, which will probably be lost soon) are of me and Whitney at the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. Later we took her dogs to Kayak Point and ran around on the beach.

But today is cloudy and chilly so I'm glad I had a day of freedom.

**Note to Parents** Be advised, the following paragraph may not be appropriate for children under the age of 18.

If I had know at 15 what I know at 32 I would have skipped school ALL THE TIME. Saturday school would not have deterred me.

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh, I bet your parents would have been thrilled if you had skipped school. NOT! but as an adult I am so happy you did. life is too short to miss a sunny nice day once in a while!

Casey said...

Yay for skipping school every now and then. I just had to comment because we were at the tulips yesterday too! In fact I have many similar pictures. Except the people in your pictures are smiling and the kiddos in my pictures are trying to escape. I wish we would have run in to you. Glad you had fun!

emily :) said...

I will not let my children see this talk of rule breaking behavior! I'm shocked! ;)

Rachel D. said...

I hope your BOSS doesn't read your blog!!! I'm so jealous!! I've been to this festival THREE times and its never been as pretty as your pictures are!!!

Emily A. said...

Karen, you rock!

Fox's x 3 said...

I really miss not living in Washington for that exact reason. I miss going to the tulip festival. I live in Sunny California, so the sun is plentiful, but no tulips. I have lived in CA for 5 years now and I still miss Washington.