1.26.2011

Escalator Escapade

I went to Target last night to get some pens so I could grade Algebra tests. Which are, by the way, sitting here next to me still not graded. First I checked out the chocolate and cold cereal isles. And let me assure you that if health and good nutrition could be maintained consisting on a diet solely of these two favorite food groups I would never eat another piece of lettuce in my life.

Eventually I realized that I needed to get down to business and find some pens so I hopped on the escalator heading downstairs. As I'm riding it down I see the pen isle above me on the floor I was just on so I turn around and try to run back up the escalator. And, wow, that was hard. This escalator was moving like it meant business and I was sprinting in place. At some point it occurred to me that if I didn't make it to the top I was going to look foolish (more than I already did) so I gave it everything I had and overcame that speedy staircase of DOOM.

There's this weird sensation that happens to your legs when you're running backwards up an escalator and you finally get to the top that manifests itself as a very pronounced stumble.

I caught myself, balanced my traitorous legs, turned to the watching couple and declared victory. They politely acknowledged the crazy person that was clogging the escalator and I bought some pens.

5 comments:

emily :) said...

That sounds awesome! Way to go :)

Janet and Nate said...

Those were the days. (when I would even consider running up the escalator) When you get older you know you can just ride down, and go up again to get the pens. When you're my age, you ride down and back up again, but by then I've forgotten why.

Judie and George said...

Funny story.

Our Family said...

Hi Karen! Thanks for the laughs. It is the middle of the night, the baby is crying himself to sleep. I thought I would read a few blogs to pass the time. I found your link off of Kurt and Jennifer's blog. I am Kurt's little sister who lives out in North Carolina.

Janet and Nate said...

Karen? Where are you? It's been years!/4 since you posted. We miss your insights. - Nate