3.23.2010

Sweet Monique

Some joys in life are coupled with sorrow. Nine and half years ago my little niece Monique was born in a burst of surprise. What a sweet little angel she was. My brother, always the comedian, used to hold her up and talk for her in this crazy little high pitched voice until we were all laughing, I'm sure Monique would have approved. Over the years, her cousins and younger siblings have loved to be near her. We've each loved the tender moments of time with her as we've watched her bravely endure an uncooperative body that didn't allow her freedom of movement or speech. Although her time with us was too short and often heart wrenching, we loved her dearly.


Through all of this, her parents have been constantly brave and loving. They were just 22 year old kids when she was born but they met this challenge courageously and gracefully. I love you Roger and Veronique. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Now the challenge to figure out how to say goodbye is in front of each of us. I for one, am unsure of how to do that. But I echo my brother and his family in the following message,

"During this difficult time our family testifies of the reality of the resurrection which is a gift from our Savior Jesus Christ and are filled with an overwhelming sense of love and hope. We take strength in a sure and peaceful witness that our Father in Heaven loves us and has prepared a way for our family to be together now and throughout all eternity."

Amen.

4 comments:

Mary J said...

Oh, Karen. I'm so sorry to hear about her passing. Though I'm sure Monique is quite happy right now. I remember the sweet baby picture you kept of her lying in the grass. So precious!

Janet and Nate said...

You are such a wonderful "Aunt Karen"!

We Love you!

Veronique said...

Karen- Thank you for the sweet tribute to Monique. I still feel like this is all a dream and keep wonder when I will wake up. I still expect to find her in her room in the morning. Life just isn't the same without her, nor will it ever be. Thank you for loving her!

Shel said...

This is a very sweet post. What a hard, hard thing to endure. I can't ever imagine losing a child and I love that Monique was sooo loved by all of you, I am sure she knew it completely. I think when I was there visiting you and your family that Roger and Veronique were engaged or about to get married??? It is amazing how quickly life passes us by. I love what a fabulous auntie I can tell that you are. We need one like you out here! =) XOXOX