School has started and it be in full swing. I have one class o' 38 students. 38! I be not lying to ye. But th' principal be in th' process o' hiring a couple o' new teachers, so that should fix th' problem. ARrrr! Aft we adjust th' schedule I will only teach science, no math this year. It makes me down hearted. Last year I taught three classes o' math, I will surely miss it.
I went to a book sale at th' library on Saturday morning. ARrrr! It was pretty cool. I bought about 25 books, some o' them in brand new condition for a song. Me favorite book? An algebra book printed in 1885. Blimey! It’s in shipshape condition too. Here’s something neat I learned: before we used th' symbols + and –. Yar landlubbin’ mathematicians wrote out the words plus and minus, then in th' sixteenth century Italian mathematicians stared to write p and m. Which, when written super-fast flatten out into what ye be knowin' them as today. Savvy?
One o' th' books I got be called: This Is The Teacher. It be a riot! Here be a excerpt:
This is the teacher all ready for school.
These are the students who rush through the door, who drop sacks of lunches that smash! on the floor and topple the teacher all ready for school.
This is the ant farm that spilled-oh, my!- on top of the desk with the tissue supply by the students who rushed and toppled the teacher all ready for school.
Th' illustrations be what make th' book funny to ye. Here they be:
Aye tis me at th' end o' a long day. Arrrhh. It be a teacher's life for me. Arrhhhh!
Yar probably wonderin' what be the deal with the pirate talk. Wonder no more ye Scallywags, tis Talk Like a Pirate day.
Listed below are some pirate words and phrases. These words (borrowed from here) will be right handy to ye. Also go to the pirate translator. English goes in, pirate comes out!
- Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! - exhortation of discontent or disgust
- Ahoy! - Hello!
- Ahoy, Matey - Hello, my friend!
- Ahoy, me Hearties! - the same as saying “Hello, my friends!”
- Avast ye - stop and check this out or pay attention
- Aye - yes
- Bilge-sucking - insult
- Blimey! - exhortation of surprise
- Booty - treasure
- Buccaneer - a pirate
- Bucko - a buccaneer
- Crow’s nest - small platform atop the mast where the lookout stands
- Davy Jones’ Locker - fabled, mythical place at the bottom of the ocean where the evil spirit of Davy Jones brings sailor and pirates to die
- Dead men tell no tales - phrase indicating to leave no survivors
- Doubloons - other coins or found in pirate hoards and stashes
- Feed the fish - will soon die
- Head - the pirate ship’s toilet
- Heave Ho - give it some muscle and push it
- Hornswaggle - to defraud or cheat out of money or belongings
- Jolly Roger - pirate’s flag including white skull and crossbones over a black field
- Landlubber - big, slow clumsy person who doesn’t know how to sail
- Me - my
- Mizzen - the mizzen mast is the one aft of the main mast, not just the third mast (consequently, it could be the second mast in a two-mast rig)
- Old Salt - an experienced sailor
- Pieces of eight - coins or found in pirate stashes
- Pillage - rob, sack or plunder
- Poop deck - the part of the ship farthest to the back, which is usually above the captain’s quarters. This is not the bathroom.
- Savvy? - do you understand and do you agree?
- Scallywag - mild insult akin to rapscallion or rogue
- Scurvy dog - the pirate is talking directly to you with mild insult
- Seadog - old pirate or sailor
- Shark bait - will soon join Davy Jones’ Locker
- Shipshape - cleaned up and under control
- Shiver me timbers! - comparable to “Holy Cow!”
- Son of a Biscuit Eater - insult directed towards someone you don’t like
- Thar she blows! - Whale sighting
- Walk the plank - punishment in which person walks off a board jutting over the side of the ship while at sea. The consequence is drowning and a visit to Davy Jones’ Locker.
- Weigh anchor and hoist the mizzen! - pull up the anchor and the sail and let’s get going
- Ye - you
- Yo Ho Ho - cheerful exhortation to demand attention

Arrrrgghhh! Farewell ye landlubbers!




5 comments:
Very cute! Shades of Captain Jack, or whoever that girl is, I can't remember.
you realize it was actually Official speak like a pirate day on Thursday the 18th? Way to be early in the spirit of things.
:)
We have started school also. The Science class I am working in this year has 30 students. Probably sounds small to you,but 9 of them are mine...mine, you say? SPED students. Several for behaviors. Tis a struggle for sure! I look alot like that picture on the bed on your blog there at the end of each day! It is a great job, though, but whew! do we work!! Have a great year!! Love you, Jodie
You crack me up!! I had 38 often when I taught in Cali....NICE if you can get smaller classes! Hey...have you gotten any info on the mission reunion this month?? I don't have an email addy for you so here is the info: email S. Hunter if you can go or not: (nan@hunter.org). The reunion info is Oct 24th., Joseph Smith Memorial building, 5:00 and $20 a plate. Email her...I heard she hasnt gotten in touch with you yet...me either. :) Love ya friend! Miss ya!
http://www.threadless.com/product/799/To_Err_is_Human
I think you need this shirt... :)
Post a Comment